Quit Smoking in this Way – 31 May 08

City:
Schwabmunchen
Country:
Germany

Today a woman was here for a healing session whose problem was this: “I have an addiction. I have been smoking very much for thirty years now and I cannot quit. My lungs are already quite damaged. I tried quitting but I got depressed and started again.”

I replied her: That is only an excuse of the mind. You can stop smoking; it is only your willpower, only your wish. You have to make this decision not to smoke and you can quit in this minute. Promise yourself not to touch any cigarette in your life anymore even if you die because of it. Make this commitment. You don’t have to promise me! This is a promise you make for yourself. I can guarantee that you will not die without smoking.

And don’t plan to stop smoking tomorrow or at some other time. You were only planning until now: tomorrow I will stop smoking, next week… If you say this is the last cigarette, the one after it will also be the last one, and another one and another one. It will never be the last one. You have to make the decision now. If you don’t decide to do this, I cannot help you and nobody else can. Not even God can help you if you don’t make this decision. And then the first thing that you do is to throw away all cigarettes and lighters.

Why is the cigarette controlling you? Do you smoke the cigarette or does the cigarette smoke you? Throw it away. You can have this will and wish not to touch any cigarette anymore and you can succeed. I wish for you that you make this decision. I can give you a small tip: Put a small piece of cinnamon on your tongue and let it dissolve. Do not chew it. This will reduce the urge for nicotine. However this can only help you 30 per cent. The other 70 per cent have to come from you, your will and your decision. I want to give you this energy to make the decision now and then you go and throw away all your cigarettes.

In the evening we had Darshan. We planned to have it in the garden because the weather had been nice all day. However when we started we already saw dark clouds coming towards us and it started raining while I was giving the introduction. So we all moved inside into Eira’s living room. There was a little bit less space than in her garden but the atmosphere was very nice with the noise of the rain falling on the terrace outside.

9 Replies to “Quit Smoking in this Way – 31 May 08”

  1. I think the most important part of quitting an addiction is in wanting to quit. If a person tries to quit but doesn’t want to, they will probably not succeed. it must be a conscious choice

  2. I think the most important part of quitting an addiction is in wanting to quit. If a person tries to quit but doesn’t want to, they will probably not succeed. it must be a conscious choice

  3. I think the most important part of quitting an addiction is in wanting to quit. If a person tries to quit but doesn’t want to, they will probably not succeed. it must be a conscious choice

  4. Unfortunately, many people are able to quit their addictions only by picking up new ones! Lots of people who try to quit cigarettes end up eating food instead, or chewing gum, or drinking alcohol, or causing some other imbalance in their life. I think the reason for this cycle of addictions is because their is a void in their mind that aches and begs for something to fulfill it. This void could be a sadness, or a loneliness, or boredom. But nothing will stop the cycle of addiction until you treat and heal that void.
    Perhaps the one thing that could complete and finish the addiction cycle is becoming addicted to meditation! Every time you have an urge to participate in addictive behavior, you could simply close your eyes, calm the mind, and follow the breath moving in and out. Of all things, addiction to meditation might actually be helpful.

  5. Thank you so much for this article. The tip about the cinammon is great, not that i smoke, but I have sent a link to my friend back home who is trying her best to quit a fairly severe habit.